Questions fréquentes sur la fiscalité américaine - Centre d'aide Airbnb (2023)

Marche à suivre


We've put together some frequently asked questions in relation to US taxes.Even if you're a non-US Host, we may still need your tax information.

Please read this FAQ carefully.

On December 23, 2022, the IRS announced a delay in a change to reporting thresholds for third-party settlement organizations - which were due to take effect for the 2022 tax filing season.

Airbnb won't be required to file 1099-Ks according to the $600 threshold which was enacted as part of the American Rescue Plan of 2021. Accordingly, for the calendar year 2022, we'll only issue 1099-Ks as per the greater than $20,000 and 200 reservation threshold.

1. Why does Airbnb need my taxpayer information?

To ensure that Airbnb sends you a complete and correct year-end tax form for payouts, we need you to provide us with your taxpayer information.

You can easily do this by completing a formwithin your Host account.

2. What happens if I don't provide any taxpayer information?

US tax rules require Airbnb to obtain taxpayer information from every Host that is a US citizen or tax resident,based onour records of their US identification card,US address or telephone number, or US activity (“US Host.”).

    We also require taxpayer information fromnon-US Hostswhose account profile suggests a connection to the United States through a US-based payment account.

    Potential consequences

    If you fall into any of these groups but don't provide us with taxpayer information,Airbnb may:

    • Freeze payments to you
    • Block your listing calendar
    • Withhold tax on payouts,and—as required under US tax laws— remit the withholding to the IRS

    Learn more about US taxes.

    Tax withholding

    At the end of the year, Airbnb will send you an IRS Form 1099 (Form 1042-S for non-US persons) showing any withheld amounts. You may be able to obtain a refund from the IRS of the withheld amounts in some cases.

    Airbnb does not provide assistance with the refund process. The tax refund process can be complex and require assistance from a tax professional.

    Special comments for non-US Hosts with US tax listings

    • Non-US Hosts with US listings generally must file US tax returns and pay tax to the IRS on income earned through US listing, but are not subject to a withholding tax if a valid Form W-8ECI is provided to Airbnb.
    • Non-US Hosts with US listings who cannot provide a valid Form W-8ECI (e.g. because you do not file US tax returns) should provide a Form W-8BEN (or Form W-8BEN-E if an entity) to confirm that you are not subject to tax withholding.
    • Payouts to non-US Hosts with US listings who do not provide a Form W-8ECI will generally be subject to a 30% withholding tax remitted to the IRS.

    3.I am a non-US Host with a US listing. What tax information do I need to provide?

    The information you need to provide depends on how you address your US tax obligations. Under US tax laws, non-US Hosts generally must pay US tax on income they earn from US properties.

    You can address this obligation in one of two ways:

    1. If you file a US tax return and report your income from US listings, usually you can provide Airbnb with a Form W-8ECI. If you provide a valid W-8ECI, Airbnb will not withhold tax on your payouts, but will issue you with an IRS Form 1042-S annually reporting your payouts for you to report on your US tax return.
    2. Alternatively, if you provide an IRS Form W-8BEN, Airbnb will withhold 30% on your payouts from US listings and remit the tax to the IRS. At the end of the year, Airbnb will send you an IRS Form 1042-S showing the amount of withholding tax credits on your payouts.

      For more information, the IRS has some guidancehere.

      4. I'm not a US citizen or resident. DoI add my taxpayer information?

      Yes. You should add your taxpayer information, even just to confirm that you should not receive year-end US tax information reporting. This is true even if you do not have listings in the US.

      If you're not a US Host and don't receive payouts from US listings, adding your taxpayer information actively identifies you as a non-US Host and exclude you from US tax information reporting, and from blocks to your calendar or pauses to your payouts due to Airbnb not having this information.

      US tax law

      In certain situations, US tax law requires Airbnb to presume a Host is a US Host if Airbnb does not have adequate information to conclude otherwise. For example, if payouts are requested to a US bank account. Learn more about

      5. How do I changemy taxpayer information?

      Instructions on how to changeyour taxpayer information can be found here.

      You can correct your taxpayer information by editing and re-submitting the prior tax form you provided to us through your Airbnb account, or by completing a new Form W-9.

      Basic troubleshooting

      Typical errors in taxpayer information include:

      • The name provided on the “Full name” line doesn’t correspond to the tax identification number provided
      • The name provided is abbreviated and doesn’t match the full legal name on record with the IRS
      • The tax identification number is incorrect

      6. What forms are used for tax reporting - and who uses them?

      There are four tax forms used for year-end tax reporting:

      1.1099-K:US citizen or US tax resident that meets one or more of the following criteria:

        • You've exceeded $20,000 in gross transactions and 200 reservations in calendar year 2022
        • You had US taxes withheld from your payments, or
        • Your resident state has a lower reporting threshold

        2. 1099-MISC or 3.1099-NEC:US citizen or US tax resident receiving at least $600 in other reportable income from Airbnb.Generally, this form will report any promotional payments, bonuses, awards, and miscellaneous payments considered reportable income and which are not included on Form 1099-K.

        4. 1042-S eligibility:US citizen or US tax resident and you received income from US listings or experiences.

          7. My listing is not located in the US, which form should I fill in?

          • Regardless of where their listing is located, all Hosts who are US citizens or US tax residents (e.g. “US Hosts”) should complete a Form W-9
          • Individual non-US Hosts can complete a Form W-8BEN to indicate they should not receive a Form 1099.
          • Non-US Hosts who are not individuals should complete Form W-BEN-E.

          All forms are available here.

          Note on Form W-8BEN-E

          We don't currently have this form available for electronic submission on Airbnb. If you need to submit this form, you can download it here. IRS instructions for completing the form can be found here. After you have completed the form, please log in to your Airbnb account and create a customer support ticket and request to be connected with “a person”.

          8. Why am I receiving notifications after providing my taxpayer information?

          If you havealready submitted your taxpayer information you should find the form under the Taxes section of your Account. There may be a few days’ delay from when you submitted your tax form to when we initiate our communications and in-product notifications.

          Depending on the tax form you submitted, we may need to run a validation check against IRS records to confirm the information or make sure the forms are completed properly. This helps catch any validation errors before we issue your year-end tax form. If we are notified of any discrepancies, we’ll contact you by email.

          9. Whose taxpayer information should I provide when there are multiple payouts?

          If you have payouts going to different bank accounts with different beneficiaries, the taxpayer information (Forms W-9/W-8) provided should correspond to the person (including a legal entity) to whom you expect Airbnb to issue a US tax information Form (1099/1042-S) to report earnings from Hosting.

          If you don't know who should receive a 1099/1042-S for Host earnings, you may need to consult a tax advisor.

          10. What name appears on tax document1099/1042-S?

          The US tax information reporting form will be issued according to the taxpayer information provided and how they are assigned to each payout method.

          • If you have only one taxpayer information form and multiple payouts, we will assign that tax form to all the payout methods. This will result in one Form 1099/1042-S issued for all the included payouts.
          • If you need more than one Form 1099/1042-S form issued to separate taxpayers, you will need to add multiple taxpayer information forms and then assign them to the respective payout methods. This can be done in your Account under Payout settings.

          Instructions to add and allocate taxpayer information can be found here.

          11. What do I do if I receive a TIN validation error email from Airbnb?

          It’s important to note that you may receive a TIN Mismatch notification or “B Notice” from Airbnb if you provide incorrect taxpayer information. If these notifications aren’t responded to promptly, we may block your payouts or be required under US tax rules to withhold tax from payouts to you. For more information about potential penalties, refer to page 2 of the IRS Form W-9 instructions.

          Need more help?

          Visit the Help Centre for additional information about how to select the correct tax form and other common taxpayer information errors, or to learn more about the TIN mismatch notification.

          12. Why are US taxes withheld for foreign hosts?

          Under US tax law, income earned from real property (such as an Airbnb listing) in the US is subject to US taxation even when it’s earned by non-US tax residents.

          Accordingly, Airbnb requires every Host with a US listing(s) to provide Form W-9/Form W-8. If you’re a non-US tax resident with (a) US listing(s) and you also pay taxes on your US listing(s) in your home country, you should consult a tax advisor about whether you can offset any of your taxes with credits for taxes paid to other countries.

          Key points

          There are also key points you should pay attention to from a US tax perspective:

          • Any Host with (a) US listing(s) who provides Airbnb Form W-8BEN (for individuals) or Form W-8BEN-E (for entities) will be subject to 30% US withholding tax on payouts on their US listing(s).
          • As an alternative to providing Form W-8BEN, certain non-US tax resident Hosts with (a) US listing(s) can provide Form W-8ECI.
          • If you provide a valid Form W-8ECI, Airbnb won’t apply US withholding tax to your payouts. However, providing Form W-8ECI is your certification that you consider payouts on your US listing(s) income ‘effectively connected with a US trade or business’ and that you will file a US tax return.

          For more information, read the IRS’ guidance on real property located in the US.

          FormForm W-8ECI

          If you elect to provide Form W-8ECI and file a US tax return with respect to your US listing(s), a system of foreign tax credits exists and credits may potentially be claimed for tax paid in your home country. For further guidance, we recommend you consult with an independent tax adviser.

          13. Why has my payout been suspended?

          If we require your taxpayer information, you'll receive email and in-product notifications requesting the relevant information. If you do not respond to these notifications, payouts may be suspended.

          Once you have submitted the necessary information, any payouts due to you will be automatically be released.

          For further information see our Payment Terms of Service, which reflect that we have the ability to pause payouts if you do not provide the requested information. If you disagree with the Payment Terms, you may terminate your agreement with Airbnb at any time by deleting your account.

          For all other payout suspension issues, pleasecontact us.

          Cet article vous a-t-il été utile?

          Sur le même sujet

          • Hôte de logementModification des informations fiscales américainesVous pouvez modifiez vos informations fiscales ou changer la façon dont les revenus sont répartis entre plusieurs contribuables depuis vos p…
          • Hôte de logementTaxes et versementsSi vous n'avez pas envoyé vos informations fiscales, il est possible qu'Airbnb applique des retenues d'impôt. En savoir plus sur les autres …
          • Hôte de logementQuelle fiscalité pour les hôtes?La réglementation fiscale peut être complexe et varier selon les régions. Pour vous aider, nous avons mis des informations à votre dispositi…
          Top Articles
          Latest Posts
          Article information

          Author: Arline Emard IV

          Last Updated: 01/19/2023

          Views: 5702

          Rating: 4.1 / 5 (52 voted)

          Reviews: 83% of readers found this page helpful

          Author information

          Name: Arline Emard IV

          Birthday: 1996-07-10

          Address: 8912 Hintz Shore, West Louie, AZ 69363-0747

          Phone: +13454700762376

          Job: Administration Technician

          Hobby: Paintball, Horseback riding, Cycling, Running, Macrame, Playing musical instruments, Soapmaking

          Introduction: My name is Arline Emard IV, I am a cheerful, gorgeous, colorful, joyous, excited, super, inquisitive person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.